Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens. In fact, about one in five orthodontic patients at our Las Vegas orthodontic office is over the age of 21! Many adults choose to receive treatment at Centennial Hills Orthodontics because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults throughout Las Vegas are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and you can too.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment at Centennial Hills Orthodontics?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other oral health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term issues costing you more in the end.
Treatment Options for Adults
If the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage you from receiving treatment, know that Dr. Whetten offers a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Types of braces include:
- Clear/ceramic braces
- Damon® Smile self-ligating braces
- Empower® self-ligating metal and clear braces
- Invisalign® clear aligners
During your orthodontic consultation at our Las Vegas orthodontic office, Dr. Whetten will perform an oral exam, and take an X-ray and photos, to properly address your concerns. Factors such as your chief complaint, expected outcome, anticipated time, and desired treatment type are also discussed. Many times, Dr. Whetten is able to offer multiple options to achieve your ideal results.
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
The main difference between treating adults and children or teens is that the jawbones of younger patients are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may make orthognathic surgery possible to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete or relapsed orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment or didn’t follow through with their retention.
Dr. Whetten and our team also recognize that, as an adult, you have different needs and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our Las Vegas orthodontist, Dr. Whetten, to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.